Yesterday morning I got overwhelmed by all the positive reactions about my sunny golden breakfast bowl. For some reason breakfast is my favorite meal of the day. And as much as I love to start the day with a big bowl of overnight oats with sliced banana, a drizzle of maple syrup and a spoonful of homemade nut butter I always try to add some veggies into my breakfast. One of my favorite ingredients to add to my breakfast ( or acturally ANY meal) is pumpkin. But because it’s off season now, I make sure that there’s aways a bag full of grilled cinnamon seasoned chunks in the freezer. In summer I prefer making ice-cream but on a cold and rainy day I like my bowl hot, steamy and full of spices.
The guilt free ice-cream I often start my day with, is extremely easy to make and requires just three basic ingredients: milk, protein powder, and frozen veggies or fruit. Pretty much the same stuff you’d use in a protein shake or smoothie. Like I said I prefer making it with pumpkin but when I’m craving ice-cream in the evening I make it with a frozen banana and nut butter, frozen berries or sweet mango chunks.
I use my favorite FITSHE vegan protein powder with vanilla flavor. But you can use any protein powder. The reason why I like this product is because it’s 100% natural, organic, has no artificial sweeteners or flavourings and the protein (made of mung bean, hemp and pumpkin seed protein) supports the recovery of your muscles after exercise.
First things first, let’s get this pumpkin roasted…
1 tbsp cinnamon
1 tbsp melted coco oil
– Heat oven to 180 degrees celcius. Using a large metal spoon, scoop out the seeds and insides of the pumpkin. Save the seeds for roasting. Use a sharp chef’s knife to cut slices of pumpkin, 1-inch thick.
– Place pumpkin slices on baking sheet. Drizzle with coconut oil and add season with salt, cinnamon and ginger. Roast for 18-20 minutes, depending on thickness of pumpkin slices (check at 15 minute mark).
– Let the pumpkin cool down and store in the freezer.
For one big bowl of golden goodness (which will keep you going for hours)
– A handful of frozen pumpkin chunks
– 4 ice cubes
– 150 ml plant based milk ( I prefer unsweetened roasted almond or oat milk)
– 1 scoop whey ( vegan doesn’t fluff as well als regular whey, but it does taste lovely)
– 1 tsp cinnamon ( and another one)
– 1/2 tsp turmeric
– 1/2 tsp ginger
– 1/2 tsp cardamom
- Crush the icecubes and pumpkin in a blender
- Add the protein powder and the milk
- Mix for 5 minutes until it gains volume.
- Top with whatever you want and eat immediately.
Ice-cream for breakfast, can it be better?